Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Measuring Elaine's Classroom

On Tuesday, I was with Elaine's class. They've been working on measuring - gallons, quarts, pints, cups, etc.. I decided to do something a little more physical: using parts of ourselves as the measuring tools. We measured tables in handlengths (learning the word "perimeter" as we did so), the length of the room in foot-lengths, and the length of the room in person-lengths!

For the last one, we worked in pairs. One person laid down on the floor, and the other held a ruler to mark where their head had been, so the lying-down person could get up and lie down again with their feet where their head had been. I'm sorry I don't have pictures, but I was sort of busy helping remember numbers and measuring the room myself! For most of the kids, the room was about 7 kid-lengths. The room was only about 5 Jesse-lengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment