Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Introduction

Hello, world!

My name is Jessica Metcalf-Burton, but I go by Jesse (no "i").  I teach math to a bunch of kids at Summers-Knoll School.  This blog is intended for parents to follow along and see what their kids are doing.  Since I haven't met most of the parents yet, I figure I should introduce myself first.

I have a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Michigan, and undergraduate degrees in math and computer science from the University of Maryland. My first experience as a teaching assistant was my sophomore year of college, and I've pretty much been teaching ever since.  At University of Michigan I've taught a simply ridiculous number of calculus courses, and over the last several years I've tutored everything from high school algebra and geometry through calculus.  

When I'm not teaching math, I have a side business teaching swing dancing.  I learned how to swing dance my first year of college, and it stuck.  I also like baking, reading, traveling, traveling to Spain, attempting to speak Spanish, writing poetry, listening to music, playing music (on piano, djembe, recorder, bones, bodhran, or zills), making beaded jewelry, crocheting, trying other forms of dance besides swing, doing photography (preferably while traveling), and eating ice cream.  

As the semester gets a little more underway, I'll be introducing some of the kids at Summers-Knoll to advanced math ideas that students usually don't get to until high school (if they're lucky) or college.  I have a pretty long list of ideas already, and if anyone has fun math activities or topics they'd like to suggest, I welcome comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment